Seventy percent of adult tooth loss is attributed to gum disease. The team at Crosspoint Family Dental are experts in gum disease and serve those in and around Westford, MA. Gum disease can be silent. Early symptoms can be mild and painless. Regular dental checkups are vital because one of our highly experienced Doctors can detect, treat and reverse gum disease in its early stages.
Causes of Gum Disease – Westford, MA
Several factors contribute to periodontal or, gum disease. This includes plaque buildup, heredity, and lifestyle choices. The most common and controllable factor is bacterial plaque. Signs and symptoms of gum disease can include:
- Red, swollen gums
- Gums that are tender to the touch
- Exposed tooth roots
- Gums that bleed easily
- Bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- Receding gums
- Permanent teeth that are loose, separating or changing position
- Gum disease is often progressive and if not treated, gum disease will continue to get worse and surgery may eventually be needed to save the affected teeth.
Scheduling Regular Appointments to Avoid Gum Disease
By scheduling regular dental appointments, Dr. Peysakhov and Dr. Turkenich can detect periodontal problems before the gums and bone supporting your teeth are damaged. Our doctors will perform a professional exam while examining your gums for any gum disease.
Preventing and treating gum disease in the early stages is the best way to keep your smile healthy. To learn more about gum disease and how our doctors in the Westford, MA area can help you, call and schedule a consultation or appointment today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get dental implants in Westford with periodontal disease?
While dental implants are a popular and effective solution for tooth replacement, they require a healthy foundation of gums and jawbone for successful placement. Patients with periodontal disease may not be suitable candidates for immediate implant placement. However, our experienced dental team at CrossPoint Dental can evaluate your specific case and may recommend periodontal therapy to treat gum disease before considering dental implants.
What is gum disease or periodontal disease?
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an oral health condition caused by bacterial plaque buildup on teeth and gums. It leads to red, swollen gums, gum recession, loose teeth, and can eventually result in tooth loss if left untreated. Regular dental checkups and professional cleanings at CrossPoint Dental can help detect and treat gum disease in its early stages.
Do you know how a general dentist differs from other oral health professionals?
A general dentist is a primary oral healthcare provider who diagnoses, treats, and manages overall dental health. They offer a wide range of dental services, including preventive care, restorative treatments, and cosmetic procedures. Specialists like orthodontists, oral surgeons, and periodontists focus on specific aspects of dentistry and may be referred by a general dentist when specialized treatment is required.
What are some common dental issues a general dentist addresses?
CrossPoint Dental’s general dentists are skilled in managing various dental issues, including but not limited to:
– Dental cavities and tooth decay
– Gum disease and gingivitis
– Dental emergencies like toothaches and fractures
– Routine dental cleanings and exams
– Dental fillings and crowns
– Root canal therapy
– Teeth whitening and cosmetic dentistry
– Dental bridges and dentures
What does periodontal therapy involve?
Periodontal therapy at CrossPoint Dental aims to treat gum disease and prevent further damage. The therapy may include:
– Scaling and root planing: Thorough cleaning to remove plaque and tartar from teeth and root surfaces.
– Antibiotics: Prescription of antimicrobial medications to control bacterial infection.
– Gum surgery: In advanced cases, surgical intervention may be necessary to repair damaged tissues and promote gum healing.
Why does my child need a pediatric crown when their teeth will fall out?
Pediatric crowns may be recommended by our dentists if your child has a severely decayed or damaged baby tooth that cannot be restored with a traditional filling. Baby teeth play a crucial role in proper speech development, maintaining space for permanent teeth, and guiding them into their correct positions. Preserving baby teeth with crowns helps ensure the healthy development of the child’s oral and facial structures.
How often should I see a general dentist?
Regular dental checkups are essential for maintaining optimal oral health. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends visiting your general dentist at least every six months for routine exams, cleanings, and early detection of any dental issues. However, the frequency of visits may vary depending on individual dental health needs, and our dentists at CrossPoint Dental can create a personalized treatment plan for you.
Why do I need a general dentist?
A general dentist is your primary partner in oral health care, addressing a wide range of dental needs for patients of all ages. Regular visits to a general dentist at CrossPoint Dental can help:
- Prevent dental issues through routine exams and cleanings
- Detect oral health problems early for timely treatment
- Offer personalized treatment plans to improve and maintain your smile
- Provide education and guidance on proper oral hygiene practices
At CrossPoint Dental, we are committed to delivering high-quality dental care, focusing on the unique needs and preferences of our patients in Westford, MA, and surrounding areas. Schedule an appointment with our experienced team to experience comprehensive and compassionate dental services.
- Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a common condition that can lead to tooth loss if left untreated. It is essential to be aware of the early symptoms, which can be mild and painless, and seek regular dental checkups to detect and treat gum disease in its early stages.
- Several factors contribute to gum disease, including plaque buildup, heredity, and lifestyle choices. The most common and controllable factor is bacterial plaque.
- The team at CrossPoint Family Dental in Westford, MA specializes in gum disease and offers expert care to patients in the area. They can detect periodontal problems early and provide necessary treatments to prevent further damage.
- Gum disease can be silent and may progress without obvious signs until it becomes severe. Early detection and treatment are vital to maintaining a healthy smile.
- Patients with periodontal disease may not be immediate candidates for dental implants, as implants require a healthy foundation of gums and jawbone. Periodontal therapy may be recommended before considering dental implant placement.
- General dentists are primary oral healthcare providers who offer a wide range of dental services, including preventive care, restorative treatments, and cosmetic procedures. They play a crucial role in maintaining overall dental health.
- Regular dental checkups with a general dentist are essential for preventing dental issues, detecting oral health problems early, and receiving personalized treatment plans to maintain a healthy smile.
- Pediatric crowns may be recommended for children with severely decayed or damaged baby teeth to preserve oral and facial structures and support proper speech development.
Maintaining good oral health is crucial to preventing gum disease and related dental issues. The team of experts at CrossPoint Family Dental in Westford, MA is dedicated to providing comprehensive and compassionate dental care. Through regular dental checkups and early detection, they strive to treat and reverse gum disease in its early stages, ensuring a healthy smile for their patients.
Whether you require preventive care, restorative treatments, or cosmetic procedures, the experienced general dentists at CrossPoint Dental are ready to create personalized treatment plans to meet your specific needs and keep your smile bright and healthy. Schedule an appointment today to experience high-quality dental care in Westford and the surrounding areas.
Highly Innovative Technology & Professional Dentists
Our Happy Patients
I am a new customer to the dental practice but am very pleased with the level of care that I have a received so far. My hygienist, Stephanie, was very thorough (and gentile) during the cleaning/exam and went above and beyond to assist me with my insurance coverage. 5/5 would recommend to anyone in search of a new dentist!
I have been going to this practice close to 20 years. There was a different doctor before however even the new team is great. No complains over any of their treatments or recommendations.