Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease is cause by bacteria in plaque. If plaque is not consistently removed, bacteria can build up and infect your teeth, gums and even the bone that supports your teeth. Gum disease in Lowell, MA residents is a common cause of tooth loss and Crosspoint Family Dental can help.
Preventing and Treating Gum Disease – Lowell, MA
Everyday, you take steps to prevent gum disease. Make sure you brush and floss consistently (at least twice a day), use an antimicrobial mouth rinse daily to help control plaque and schedule regular appointments with us.
Sometimes, it may be too late. If you are experiencing any of the following, call us immediately.
- Red, swollen gums that are tender and bleed during brushing and flossing
- Constant bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- Receding gum line or gums that are pulling away from your teeth and forming pockets
- Changes in your bite or teeth alignment
- Loose teeth
Once we determine the course of treatment for you, we may:
- Comprehensive cleaning to remove built up plaque and tartar
- Scaling and deep root planing are effective for more advanced conditions. These also include cleaning, but it goes deeper into the areas above and below the gum line. A local anesthetic is administered.
- Arestin therapy (FDA Approved) is quick, comfortable and antibiotics are released into your gums for up to three weeks.
Don’t Wait for Gum Disease
Besides tooth loss, gum disease has been linked to the development of issues such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and pre-term low birth-weight babies. To schedule a cleaning or if you think you may have gum disease, contact Crosspoint Family Dentist in Lowell, MA to schedule an appointment. We can be reached at (978) 459-6467.
Highly Innovative Technology & Professional Dentists
Our Happy Patients
I am a new customer to the dental practice but am very pleased with the level of care that I have a received so far. My hygienist, Stephanie, was very thorough (and gentile) during the cleaning/exam and went above and beyond to assist me with my insurance coverage. 5/5 would recommend to anyone in search of a new dentist!
I have been going to this practice close to 20 years. There was a different doctor before however even the new team is great. No complains over any of their treatments or recommendations.